08 8892 0100|Contact Us|Facebook|A A A|Print Page
Navigation
http://www.willyweather.com.au/sa/clare-valley/burra.html
Extended Forecasts
.
Online Services
Goyder News
Waste & Recycling
Lost and found Dogs
Works Requests
Cemetery Records

Market Square Landscaping Project

In the upcoming weeks Council will commence work on the Market Square Landscaping project. RSL-Burra Branch has secured funds for the refurbishment of Burra’s World War 1 Krupp QF 77mm Cannon. With the RSL receiving funding for the refurbishment and relocation of the cannon, Council is taking the opportunity to redevelop part of Market Square. Works are scheduled to commence in early September.

This German made Krupp QF 77mm Cannon, serial number 12917, was captured by the 27th Battalion AIF, near Warfusee, France on 8 August 1918. This is one of nine cannons captured by the 27th Battalion on that day. The 27th Battalion mostly consisted of South Australians with a number of soldiers being recruited from Burra and the surrounding districts. After the signing of the Armistice, the Australian War Museum Committee was entrusted with the task of controlling the administration and distribution of trophies.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

During 1929 both Cannons were located either side of the Commercial Street bridge by the Burra Town Council. In 1942, the Burra Town Council stored the Cannons at the town council’s depot for the duration of World War II. At the conclusion of World War II, the Cannons were later relocated to the Burra Mine entrance. 

During the 1970’s the guns were separated and located in the Burra Community School grounds and at a local hardware store in Burra North. During 2003, this Krupp Cannon was handed to the SA Army Museum – Keswick SA and the second 77mm field gun eventually sold to a private collector. Its whereabouts are unknown.

With the RSL receiving funding for the refurbishment and relocation of the cannon, Council is taking the opportunity to redevelop part of Market Square.

Initial works will include redefining of the existing garden beds with the creation of a formal paved avenue between the Rotunda and War Memorial. There will also be a pad constructed for the Cannon to sit on. This will require the relocation of 22 of the existing roses from the centre and northern garden beds to the Burra Cemetery. The two new garden beds either side of the paved avenue will be planted out with the RSL memorial Roses , Gallipoli Rosemary and red Poppy’s as a sign of respect to our soldiers.

Additionally the terracing around the perimeter of the Rotunda will be reconstructed, and the existing unsealed area between the Rotunda and the war memorial will be paved.

 As with all Council projects Council will endeavour to limit the impact to the public and the surroundings.

 

Cannon

Address
Regional Council of Goyder
1 Market Square
Burra SA 5417
Contact Us
Opening Hours
Burra Mon to Fri - 9am - 5pm
Eudunda Tue to Thur. 9am - 5pm