Robertstown owes its origins and history to its location - the only town between the Murray and the Barrier Highway, and strategically situated on the road joining Eudunda and Burra. The district of Robertstown stretches from World's End in the north to Emmaus in the south. Initially the majority of the land was leased to stations that still exist such as Anlaby and Koonoona.
From 1850 onwards the area was surveyed into smaller blocks and settlers moved in. Gradually the population increased to approximately 2,100 in 1936 but more recent times have seen the population remain steady at around 700.
The first settlers in the area were probably overlanders of stock from New South Wales . There are records of a route through Australia Plains, so named for the 'Australia Hut', a pine and daub hut used by drovers and shepherds.
As the years passed, farms became more established and ceased to merely support subsistence farming. Wheat became more and more important. Over the years sheep numbers gradually increased and wool and fat lambs became significant to the economy. As early as 1842, Anlaby Station was listed as the biggest sheep holder in South Australia.
Robertstown grew out of a need for a supply depot and supply of water, as did other towns including Point Pass, Australia Plains, Bower, Black Springs and Emu Downs. The first shop was a wine shanty operated by a Mr. O'Dea. As the settlement grew John Roberts, a Koonunga storekeeper, catered for the inhabitants with his travelling shop. He then settled in the small community and opened a shop and post office. Mail was franked "Roberts Town". His son built a new store - which was subsequently taken over by one of the longer serving employees - and renamed for its new owner "Lehmann's Store" - which still operates today.
The district recently celebrated 125 years and itis very proud of its heritage. A visit to the area will allow you to meet the wonderful people that give the area its character.
Source : Emmaus to World's End.
Visit the Robertstown Website for further information on the town and its services.